Followers

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Things I Miss

The date is April 26, 2020. It is a sunny Sunday afternoon and I should be preparing to go to school in the morning. However, school is no longer a place to go. School is a thing to do...from home. March 13, 2020, was the last day of public school in North Carolina for this school year. The Coronavirus and COVID-19 have us under a "Stay-At-Home" order. I am not clicking the keys to start a conversation or debate about the situation. Today, I simply list things I miss. Things that I pray I will never take for granted or complain about again. Things that help make me who I am. I miss:

* the morning drive to work listening to praise music, seeing the sun turn the sky pinkish-orange as it wakes up the world in my rearview mirror.

* watching students carefully clip the flag onto the rope so it can begin its ascent to the top of the pole where it will greet everyone with a wave.

*saying good morning to students on the front benches with sleepy faces because they must be dropped off early.

*the sweet girl who arrives early intentionally so she can use school WIFI to do homework.

*the beep as I scan my badge and the click of the door lock releasing allowing my entrance to the day.

*stopping to fill my cup with ice water and being grateful for little things like the ice machine for which we waited so many years.

*the friendly smile and warm greeting from our custodian, Frank.

*the chatter and laughter of staff greeting each other.

*my little lamp that sheds warm light in the corner of my classroom when the overhead lights are just too much.

*writing the date on the board each morning.

*updating the "I can..." statements with hopes that they can!

*Monday morning gym duty with sleepy-eyed students who perk up when they tell me about their weekend.

*the way my teammates and I show up in matching clothes without planning.

*the way we finish each other's thoughts and statements.

*lockers slamming, kids laughing, books dropping, chairs sliding, and hard-to-hear announcements.

*patting kids on the back and giving high fives and fist bumps.

*standing to pledge allegiance to the flag and then take a moment of silence to pray over us all for a safe day.

*taking attendance by looking around the room at real faces instead of checking a Google form that has no face.

*the kid who always has a story about a go-cart or truck he and his brothers are working on.

*the kid who needs a hug when he arrives, even if he's late and I'm teaching. He gets a hug. I miss those hugs that before seemed a disruptive annoyance.

*the kid who hates hugs but will "tell" me good morning with a small, sideways smile and a nod.

*my glitchy SmartBoard with its many white spots that we lovingly refer to as "indoor stars."

*hands waving in the air with eager answers.

*waking up that sleepyhead and teasing him about staying up too late.

*co-teaching with my inclusion partner.

*the way a face lights up when they "get it!"

*kids working together to problem-solve.

*seeing the natural leaders growing in the groups.

*the kid who needs to go to his locker every day before lunch to get the Oreos he forgot again.

*the sunshine hitting my face as we cut through the courtyard to lunch for a brief moment of warmth and fresh air.

*downtime at lunch with my friends.

*cafeteria corndogs and fruit crisp.

*the music playing from the kitchen to give us all a lift in the middle of the day.

*the hustle and bustle of "pack up/chairs up" time.

*the suddenly quiet, empty halls scattered with water bottles and abandoned pencils once students leave for elective classes.

*slowing down runners as they burst through the doors to the bus lot and the hugs a few of them give after they slow down.

*the music playing while I work in my classroom to prepare for the next day. 

*walking to the car in the afternoon, hearing student-athletes and coaches on the fields.

*glancing at the rock to see if anyone is celebrating anything. 

Most of all, I miss my students! All of them! I pray that they are healthy and happy and not stressing out about anything school-related. I want them to know that they will be just fine. They will go to seventh grade and later onto high school and then will continue to follow their dreams. This is just a speed bump on the road of life. We will all get over it and be just fine! We have not hit a wall that will stop us, just a bump to slow us down a bit.