Followers

Monday, August 9, 2021

Lesson From the Ocean

"Be still and know that I am God..." Psalms 46:10

I love to walk on the beach! What feels like a chore or exercise at home is easy and peaceful there. I could walk for hours. However, recently I took the time to just sit. Lounging in a chair away from the surf, up near the dunes, there was no breeze. So, I took my chair and placed it in the edge of the surf where the foaming water could lap at my toes. It was there that I noticed something new. A sound I have never heard, even after all my trips to the coast. I heard the usual roar of the powerful waves crashing just beyond the foam. The familiar swoosh of the waning waves rushing toward the shore was audible. However, quietly sitting still, I heard a new sound. As the waves fizzled out at the shore and the water was sucked back to the sea, that water became a symphony of clicks and crackles. The soft popping noise blended with the various tones of the ocean orchestra already performing. It was a perfect addition to the music. A light, happy, hidden melody to soften the powerful, obvious rhythm we all hear. But, I had to sit and be still. When walking the next morning, I tried to hear those undertones. Even leaning down, I could not hear them. I had to lower myself and sit with the waves to hear that special new staccato sound. It made me wonder how many times I miss unique, special moments...God winks. How often do I walk right through an experience, were I to sit with God and be still, would provide a special moment or needed lesson?


"Lord, slow me down and help me carve out time to just be still and know that You are God. Thank You for allowing me to be Yours. May I never take it for granted."